Saturday, February 12, 2011

School Decision

Remember my breakdown over elementary school? Well, I have learned a lesson this past week - don't judge a book by its cover. Remember my base school choice, Reedy Creek? I was totally against it. Bad test scores. Yeah, well I went to tour it. and....I LOVED IT!!! I figured there was no gaurantee that Landon would be getting into our year-round alternate (Adams) so I better take a look at Reedy Creek. The Christian private school was def our favorite. It's just pricey. Also, I really don't want my boys coming out of school feeling as if they are entitled, rich kids. And believe it or not, Adams didn't give me warm & fuzzies after I went to their open house, after all of the hype I had heard about the school. It just felt so big and impersonal. Reedy Creek gave me a personal tour and took a lot of time showing me around, allowing me to meet much of the staff, and answer my MANY questions. Many of the teachers have been there 10-15 years and were awesome. I was very impressed with the staff. I asked about the lower test scores and was told that their scores were brought down by Special Ed and ESL (English Second Language) kids. They have to take the same tests and are held to the same standards as everyone else. It's a very diverse school (meaning, it's not all white kids), which is similar to the daycare Landon goes to now. It felt small and personal and like home. I just feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. He is guaranteed to get into this school, so no lottery. He is on one schedule, so no worrying about what track he needs to be on and then the lottery to get on that. I already know his schedule and don't have to wait until the beginning of the summer to find that out. Whew...I feel much better. I promise there will be more melt-downs. I cried when I looked at his school supply list. But at least this is one thing that I don't have to worry over.

No comments:

Post a Comment