Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Another Worry for Mommy

Carter (and Landon) have always been amazing with their words and ability to string together enormous sentences for their age. This past weekend, Carter started stuttering. It came out of nowhere. He said, "Mommy, I want to go o-o-o-outside." Okay, that was weird. Maybe it was a fluke? Then he kept doing it. At first I thought it was with the O sound which is a new one for him (previously, he would would just said "side"), but then it seeped into words that I know he can say. I started freaking out. My baby is stuttering? I thought about the hardships he would face because of it; the teasing, the frustrations.

I e-mailed my best friend from college, who is a speech therapist, and she put my mind at ease. She said that it is perfectly normal for children his age to stutter for a short period of time while they develop new sounds/words or are putting together longer sentences (he is at this point). She said that he should stop after a few weeks and not to freak out; it will pass. Also, his teachers said that many of his little friends at school would do this for a few weeks and then stop.

It hurts me so bad to listen to him struggle to get out a thought and I am praying that this does pass quickly.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment