Sunday, January 22, 2012

Carpe Diem!

I recently read a hilarious article written by a mom of 3 children venting over the number of times she has been told to enjoy and cherish every single moment, carpe diem, blah blah blah.

Parenting is tough, y'all. It wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't.

If we are all honest, there are certainly moments that I do not cherish!

It's a long article (I'd recommend clicking the link above and read it when you have a few moments), but I wanted to post two highlights that made me shed tears from laughing so hard.

The first is a description of a scenario when an older lady was telling her to enjoy every moment:

At that particular moment, Amma had arranged one of the new bras I was buying on top of her sweater and was sucking a lollipop that she must have found on the ground. She also had three shop-lifted clip-on neon feathers stuck in her hair. She looked exactly like a contestant from Toddlers and Tiaras. I couldn't find Chase anywhere, and Tish was grabbing the pen on the credit card swiper thing WHILE the woman in front of me was trying to use it. And so I just looked at the woman, smiled and said, "Thank you. Yes. Me too. I am enjoying every single moment. Especially this one. Yes. Thank you."

And her resolution to say this to young moms when she is that elderly lady in the store:

"It's helluva hard, isn't it? You're a good mom, I can tell. And I like your kids, especially that one peeing in the corner. She's my favorite. Carry on, warrior. Six hours till bedtime." And hopefully, every once in a while, I'll add -- "Let me pick up that grocery bill for ya, sister. Go put those kids in the van and pull on up -- I'll have them bring your groceries out."

We love them; there's no question about that. But mamas, don't beat yourselves up if it's not peaches and cream 24/7. Carry on, warriors!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment