Friday, May 23, 2014

The G Word

Ok, y'all. Let's talk about this whole girl thing. But first...

This past Wednesday's appointment was STRESSFUL. This was the "advanced maternal age" appointment with the geneticist where they tell you all the statistics of your chances of having a baby with Down's, other chromosomal disorders, spinal disorders, and many other terrible things that can go wrong. I didn't have this testing done with the boys as it was optional at that age. I wasn't prepared for just for how overwhelming it ended up being.

The testing was a combination of ultrasound and blood test that can tell us with 95% certainty if the baby will have any of these abnormalities. I will get the results of the blood tests in a few days, but everything from the ultrasound checked out okay. The doctor was looking for things like the presence of a nasal bone, width of a space of fluid in the neck, and many other things (that blew my mind scientifically). I'm sure the blood tests will also come back favorably based on what we saw in the ultrasound. So that was a HUGE RELIEF.

So honestly, when he said that it was looking like a girl, I almost didn't even hear it over the relief of the baby being healthy.

But. It is a girl. Well...with 98% certainty. (So I guess there's a 2% chance of hope for a boy.) Let's get this straight...I'm not scared of pink or ruffles or princesses. That's not what scares me. It's the teenage girl with hormones and attitude that scares me. I've heard the horror stories from all those parents out there. And for those that tell me girls aren't that bad, then obviously theirs is still under the age of 12.

But I'll be okay (with wine and therapy). She's mine and obviously I will love her to pieces. And I've got one freakin' adorable husband who is insanely giddy and already fantasizing about walking her down the aisle at her wedding. So there's that.


*For those of you following along with us on this journey, I'm 13 weeks and baby is the size of a pea pod at about 3 inches long. She was pretty calm and chill during the ultrasound. Belly shot next week. Promise.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment