Monday, July 7, 2014

July 4th, 2014

We loaded up in the van, picked up a cute hitchhiker along the way (aka my niece, Olive), and drove to my in-laws in VA on July 4th morning.


Later that afternoon, we drove up to Red Hill, which is Patrick Henry's home. Christopher used to go here when he was a child but it was my and the boys' first time. It was a perfect way to spend July 4th. We toured Patrick Henry's home, saw (and participated in) some cool demonstrations like a blacksmith and turning flax into linen. The kids were super excited about the nails they watched the blacksmith make and then were given straight from the water bucket. We ate some good country BBQ and hamburgers sold by the the local Lion's Club and church and listened to bluegrass on the lawn. Patrick Henry's 5th great grandson gave his famous "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" speech* and read the Declaration of Independence. The kids ran around playing games like Red Rover while we waited for the fireworks to begin. The boys really enjoyed the fireworks display (poor Olive sat in my lap covering her ears and closing her eyes tight).

We had a great time on Red Hill celebrating our country and hope to make it an annual tradition.






*Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!  ~Patrick Henry, Second Virginia Revolutionary Convention meeting at St. John's Church in Richmond, VA on March 23, 1775

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment