Wednesday, January 6, 2010

To My Bubba...

To my late grandmother, Rosa Bevelyn Glover Jones (my Bubba), on her birthday:

On the anniversary of your birth into this world, I remember the woman you were. Loving, funny, charismatic, full of life, long legs, loud and great laugh, beautiful, friendly, loved by all, and strong. I remember the smells of your Chanel No. 5 perfume and Doublemint gum in your black leather purse. I remember the feel of your jewelry on my neck, wrists, ears and fingers. I remember the gleam of coins you'd put in the birdbath for me to collect when I filled it up for you. I remember the feel of the cool wooden beads in the seat of your red car. I remember the sounds in the doctor's office when you let me go to work with you. I remember the way you danced around your aqua blue kitchen. I remember the way you'd say my name with your long, Southern drawl. I remember the way your arms felt wrapped around me, especially during the hard years of my childhood. I remember the lessons you taught me in strength and perseverance. I will always remember.

I miss you every day.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment