Sunday, February 3, 2013

Saving Time by Planning and Prepping Ahead

I've been trying to save as much time as possible in the evenings to get some time back to spend with the boys. I feel like I work all day, sit in traffic, pick up Landon (Christopher picks up Carter), get home, stare at the pantry for a while trying to figure out what to fix for dinner, either eat junky boxed stuff or end up getting take-out, eat, clean up from supper, get the boys to bed, pack lunches, go to sleep so I can do it all over again!

I am taking my life back by just doing simple things like planning and mass prepping ahead of time. None of this is rocket science but I wanted to pass along these ideas as they have definitely changed my life.

I sit down with Christopher on the weekend and plan our dinners for the week. I know what I am having when I get home and don't waste time staring into the pantry abyss. Also, I can make sure to have my proteins thawing in the fridge the day beforehand so I'm not wasting time thawing meat when I get home to cook that night.

I am trying to use my crock-pot at least once per week. (Note: save even more time by buying crock-pot liners. Pull that baby out, toss it, and you are done cleaning up your crock-pot!) For a roast the other week, I cut all of the veggies (onions, carrots, potatoes) and mixed up my sauce the night before. I stored them in a tupperware overnight (seperately) so I just had to dump everything in the crock-pot the next morning.

I try to make casseroles ahead of time (ideally on Sunday afternoon when I have some time) that I can just pop in the oven when I get home. In this instance, I boiled my chicken one night while we were eating dinner, then prepped this casserole the next night to cook the following day.


And then there's lunches. Time-suckers! I tried my hand at packing all 5 lunches on a Sunday night. Yeah, there's some lunchables in there (they are expensive but are time-savers). There's also mini pepperonis, sandwiches, turkey rolls, etc. I always try to send one fruit, one veggie, and one dairy/protein like cheese or yogurt. I send berries earlier in the week since they tend to go bad more quickly after washing. I also add napkins and write a week's worth of love notes. I bag each of them seperately in grocery bags so that it takes up as less room in the fridge. At night, all I do is dump the contents of a bag into his lunchbox, add a freezer pack and BAM! It has really cut out some time. (And yes, I use a lot of Tupperware. I shudder when I see pictures of mass prepping using tons of baggies. I still use some baggies but try to be as environmentally-conscious as possible.)

No comments:

Post a Comment