Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Kitchen Update

Dear kitchen countertops (aka white laminate ugliness),

I have loathed you since the minute we met back in 2007. You're an eye sore and you stain terribly. I have dreamed about replacing you for 7 years. And same goes for your shallow sink counterpart.

And finally, I have! We did some kitchen updating this past weekend and I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

We purchased the most beautiful granite countertops (typhoon green) from a local stone fabricator (Mogastone - I HIGHLY recommend them if you are in the Triangle area of NC). They installed them as well as a gorgeous, huge, deep 16-gauge undermount stainless steel sink this past Friday. We chose a single basin sink as it reminded me of the coveted farmhouse sink (which I can't afford). We also bought and had installed a brushed nickel gooseneck faucet  (I opted not to install the soap dispenser that came with it - I can just see that getting gunky and breaking down the road).

Oh! And we included an overhang on the peninsula to create a bar. These bar stools (in black) are on their way as we speak. I can see the 3 kids eating their breakfast and doing homework here for years to come.

Countertops and sink:
 

We even inherited a super creepy Victorian witch lady - see her in the granite?



The plumber came late Friday night and hooked up our sink, faucet, and dishwasher. He also installed a new garbage disposal because ours died the week before (ever tried to go a week without a garbage disposal when you're used to having one? Geez.).

Then, my very talented brother-in-law came over on Saturday afternoon and laid an entire backsplash of white subway tile, with Christopher's cutting assistance. Christopher finished it up on Sunday by grouting it with light grey grout.



And here's the final product - countertops, backsplash, sink, and faucet. I am so in love.



Still left on the kitchen to-do list: change out all hardware and possibly paint the kitchen cabinets (either all white, white uppers/black lowers, or white uppers/grey lowers).
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment